Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Soundtrack

My memories are scored. Cooking in the kitchen is soundtracked by the Moody Blues (the ridiculous synthesized opening to "In Your Wildest Dreams" reminds me chopping onions) . Janis Joplin's "Summertime" plays on repeat starting June 20th every year. "Superman" by the Crash Test Dummies brings the taste of perfume and dirt to my mouth and makes me think of Los Angeles.

My political consciousness has been scored as well. While any song that had the word "America" in it played after 9/11, it was, no joke, Don Henley's "The End of Innocence" that made me cry. When the bombs were first dropped on Baghdad, my favorite radio station played The Clash's "London Calling". Subsequently, Goldfinger's version of "99 Red Balloons" blasted from my Honda Accord as I drove to school.

So now what? Now what song will define this new era?

THIS ONE.

And if you're looking for the perfect soundtrack to start this administration, this new era, off right, listen to the KEXP's Afternoon Show archive for January 20th starting at 2 pm. It is like every songwriter knew this day was coming.

I love that Barack Obama's name rocks like a reggae lyric. Well hey, what do you know?

No comments: